- Creating a Culture, The Story BeginsWatch This Now!
Sixth graders develop their own cultures, complete with language, clothing, artwork, and rituals. Weeks of hard work culminate in a surprising twist.
- Exploring Our TownWatch This Now!
Seventh and 8th grade students explore Thornton Wilder's classic play Our Town from the perspectives of theater, music, visual art, language arts, and social studies.
- Making ConnectionsWatch This Now!
Teachers of music, visual art, and theater build thoughtful connections to topics their 7th graders are working on in social studies and language arts.
- Revealing CharacterWatch This Now!
A language arts teacher and a visual art teacher ask 8th graders to demonstrate their understanding of a novel's characters by creating unusual ceramic place settings.
- Material Cycles in EcosystemsWatch This Now!
Studying an ecosystem involves looking at interactions between living things as well as the nonliving environment that surrounds them. Life depends upon the nonliving world fo…more
- Variation, Adaptation, and Natural SelectionWatch This Now!
What causes variation within a population of living things? How can variation in one generation influence the next generation? In this session, variation in a population will …more
- Plant Life CyclesWatch This Now!
What is a plant? One distinguishing feature of members of the plant kingdom is their life cycle. In this session, flowering plants serve as examples for studying the plant lif…more
- Conversations with Student WritersWatch This Now!
This program demonstrates how teachers incorporate conferences with students into their writing instruction. Viewers will see how teachers structure conferences, choose a teac…more
- Teaching a Specific Writing StrategyWatch This Now!
Silvia Edgerton and Mark Hardy teach their elementary school students how to develop strategies for writing and how to make their writing more vivid by homing in on detail, sh…more
- Reading/Writing ConnectionsWatch This Now!
Through interviews and classroom footage, this program demonstrates how teachers, including Christine Sanchez, Cristina Tijerina, Sheryl Bock, and Mark Hansen, incorporate wor…more
- Reading Like a WriterWatch This Now!
The relationship between reading and writing in the intermediate classroom is explored. The program demonstrates ways in which reading inspires students and helps them learn t…more
- Fostering Choice and IndependenceWatch This Now!
Viewers will see strategies and practices that encourage students to write. Teacher Mark Hardy's first days of school provide an example as he sets up the writing workshop by …more