Online films recently made available to Hope College users.
- Bitcoin Is More Than a Bubble and Here to Stay: A DebateWatch This Now!
In 2009, a person or group of people created Bitcoin, a digital currency. Unlike traditional currencies, which are backed by central governments that regulate their value and …more
- Work and Leisure in the Early 1900sWatch This Now!
This clip looks at work and leisure at the turn of the century. First we explore what life was like for children in the early 1900s. While primary schools were common, most ch…more
- Terror and Triumph (1940-1954)Watch This Now!
Terror and Triumph examines the surge of black activism that took place after World War II. Black veterans returned from the war determined to achieve the same rights at home …more
- Don't Shout Too Soon (1917-1940)Watch This Now!
In the aftermath of World War I a new round of race riots and lynching broke out, yet this was also a time of increasing strength for black resistance movements. Don't Shout T…more
- Trigger Warning: Safe Spaces Are DangerousWatch This Now!
Long hailed as bastions of intellectual freedom where ideas and opinions are openly exchanged, universities have recently come under attack by those who claim that a new gener…more
- Inspector GooleWatch This Now!
Inspector Goole, an impressively authoritative and purposeful figure, is the focus of this clip. We also examine the way Priestley reveals the key character, who takes on a ro…more
- In Search of Djehuty: Among Mummies, Tombs, and HieroglyphicsWatch This Now!
This is the exciting story of Djehuty, the famous treasurer under Egypt's first female pharaoh, Hatshepsut. Although their faces and names were systematically erased 3,500 yea…more
- Robin Williams: Come Inside My MindWatch This Now!
A funny, intimate and heartbreaking portrait of one of the world's most beloved and inventive comedians, Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind is told largely through his own wo…more
- Preserve Net Neutrality: All Data Is Created EqualWatch This Now!
Should the Internet be regulated, and if so, how? In December 2017, the Federal Communications Commission voted to repeal "net neutrality" rules that had been adopted in 2015.…more
- Madiba: Father of a Nation, 1918-2013Watch This Now!
Nelson Mandela was born on July 18, 1918, in the village of Mvezo in Umtatu, then a part of South Africa's Cape Province. Given the forename Rolihlahla, a Xhosa term colloquia…more
- Two: The Story of Roman and NyroWatch This Now!
Combining over twelve years of footage and narrated by their twin sons, this film follows legendary songwriter Desmond Child and his lifelong partner in their journey toward p…more
- The Characters of Helena, Puck, and BottomWatch This Now!
Shakespeare develops a broad range of memorable and contrasting characters from ancient Athens in A Midsummer Night's Dream: royalty, nobility, lowly craftsmen-and fairies. Th…more