- Intimations of Modernity: Civil Culture in Nineteenth-Century CubaGet This Now!
This history of 19th-century Cuba chronicles in fascinating detail the emergence of an urban middle class that was imbued with new knowledge and moral systems. Fostering innov…more
- The church in IraqGet This Now!
- Medicalizing blackness: making racial differences in the Atlantic world, 1780-1840Get This Now!
"...examines the creation and circulation of medical ideas about blackness in the Atlantic World during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. She shows how white…more
- Of red dragons and evil spirits: post-Communist historiography between democratization and new politics of historyGet This Now!
- Muslim land, Christian labor: transforming Ottoman imperial subjects into Bulgarian national citizens, 1878-1939Get This Now!
"Focusing upon a region in Southern Bulgaria, a region that has been the crossroads between Europe and Asia for many centuries, this book describes how former Ottoman Empire M…more
- Pixar and the aesthetic imagination: animation, storytelling, and digital cultureGet This Now!
"In Pixar and the Aesthetic Imagination, Eric Herhuth draws upon film theory, animation theory, and philosophy to examine modes of animation storytelling that address aestheti…more
- States of disease: political environments and human healthGet This Now!
"Human health is shaped by the interactions between social and ecological systems. States of Disease advances a social ecology of health framework to demonstrate how historica…more
- Smart girls: success, school, and the myth of post-feminismGet This Now!
"Are girls taking over the world? It would appear so, based on magazine covers, news headlines, and popular books touting girls' academic success. Girls are said to outperform…more
- Loft jazz: improvising New York in the 1970sGet This Now!
"The New York loft jazz scene of the 1970s was a pivotal period for uncompromising, artist-produced work. Faced with a flagging jazz economy, a group of young avant-garde impr…more
- God and the Green Divide: Religious Environmentalism in Black and WhiteGet This Now!
"American environmentalism historically has been associated with the interests of white elites. Yet religious leaders in the twenty-first century have helped instill concern a…more
- Networking China: The Digital Transformation of the Chinese EconomyGet This Now!
"China has long relied on its export manufacturing for economic growth, yet, because of the serious problems generated by this economic model, the Chinese state has tried to r…more
- Relocated memories: the Great Famine in Irish and diaspora fiction, 1846-1870Get This Now!
"The Great Famine radically transformed Ireland; nearly one million people of the rural countryside died, and the eviction of farmers led to massive emigration. The Famine enc…more