- How to study art worlds: on the societal functioning of aesthetic valuesGet This Now!
This necessary and thought-provoking study brings together the organisational side of the world of the arts and the understanding of the many functions art fulfi lls in our cu…more
- Social movements in China and Hong Kong: the expansion of protest spaceGet This Now!
The starting point of this book is the acknowledgement that on one side Chinese individuals, freer from the constraints of the State, have to rely on their own efforts for the…more
- Sound souvenirs: audio technologies, memory and cultural practicesGet This Now!
This book explores several types of cultural practices involving the remembrance and restoration of past sounds. At the same time, it theorizes the cultural meaning of collect…more
- Responding to the West: essays on colonial domination and Asian agencyGet This Now!
An insightful account of the depth and breadth of the Asian colonial experience throughout the ages up to and including decolonisation
- Aftershocks: economic crisis and institutional choiceGet This Now!
A must-read for anyone who wants to understand the economic crisis and its aftermath
- City in sight: Dutch dealings with urban changeGet This Now!
This timely and enlightening volume highlights the latest urban research in the Netherlands.
- Identity in crossroad civilisations: ethnicity, nationalism and globalism in AsiaGet This Now!
Based on multi-disciplinary studies conducted in Asia (India, Bhutan, China, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, New Zealand), this volume on Identity in Crossroad Civilisations: Et…more
- Digital material: tracing new media in everyday life and technologyGet This Now!
A compelling study of the often controversial role and meaning of the new media and digital cultures in contemporary society
- From early Tang court debates to China's peaceful riseGet This Now!
Presents new topics from Chinese history of the last 1400 years
- Films that work: industrial film and the productivity of mediaGet This Now!
First full-length book, anthology, and annotated bibliography to explore the industrial film and its remarkable history.
- Reading contemporary Indonesian Muslim women writers: representation, identity and religion of Muslim women in Indonesian fictionGet This Now!
The first study to discuss the construction of gender and Islamic identities in the works of contemporary Indonesian Muslim female writers
- From grain to pixel: the archival life of film in transitionGet This Now!
Fossati proposes a new theoretization of film archival practice as the starting point for a renewed dialogue between film scholars and film archivists.