- Chinese ecocinema: in the age of environmental challengeGet This Now!
In coming decades, film will be one of the primary ways in which China adopts and expands ecological consciousness. This anthology is the first book-length study of China's ec…more
- Teaching and learning Chinese as a foreign language: a pedagogical grammarGet This Now!
This book provides a research-based account of how to teach and learn Chinese as a foreign language. Specially written for Chinese language teachers, student teachers, and app…more
- Diasporic histories: cultural archives of Chinese transnationalismGet This Now!
This work engages cultural representations of the subjectivities and loyalties of Chinese migrant communities, including analyses of aesthetic texts, as well as theoretical ap…more
- Frames of anime: culture and image-buildingGet This Now!
Japanese anime has long fascinated the world, and its mythical heroes and dazzling colors increasingly influence popular culture genres in the West. Tze-yue G. Hu analyzes the…more
- Japanese English: language and culture contactGet This Now!
This book gives an in-depth analysis of the use of the English language in modern Japan. It explores the many ramifications the Japanese-English language and culture contact s…more
- The schooled society: the educational transformation of global cultureGet This Now!
Only 150 years ago, the majority of the world's population was largely illiterate. Today, not only do most people over fifteen have basic reading and writing skills, but 20 pe…more
- Social Roots of Risk: Producing Disasters, Promoting ResilienceGet This Now!
The first decade of the 21st century saw a remarkable number of large-scale disasters. Earthquakes in Haiti and Sumatra underscored the serious economic consequences that cata…more
- Reconsidering the American way of war: US military practice from the Revolution to AfghanistanGet This Now!
Challenging several longstanding notions about the American way of war, this book examines US strategic and operational practice from 1775 to 2014. It surveys all major US war…more
- Harsh words: English words for Chinese learnersGet This Now!
The book is written for teachers, whether training to be English teachers or taking refresher courses, postgraduate diplomas or Master's. While much of the content is applicab…more
- World Englishes in Asian contextsGet This Now!
This is the first English-language book to focus on the electric rice cooker and the impact it has had on the lives of Asian people.
- Understanding English grammar: a course book for Chinese learners of EnglishGet This Now!
The book is designed for students' learning on their own as well as in a classroom. Each chapter is accompanied by a separate "students' notes", which the students can consult…more
- TV drama in ChinaGet This Now!
The book provides an international and cross-cultural perspective with chapters on Taiwanese TV drama in China, the impact of South Korean drama, and trans-border production b…more