- Reducing gun violence: results from an intervention in East Los AngelesGet This Now!
To assess whether an initiative to reduce gun violence that had been successful in Boston could be adapted for use elsewhere, researchers selected an East Los Angeles area for…more
- Out of the shadows: the health and well-being of private contractors working in conflict environmentsGet This Now!
Private contractors have been deployed extensively around the globe for the past decade and may be exposed to many of the stressors that are known to have physical and mental …more
- Preschool adequacy and efficiency in California: issues, policy options, and recommendationsGet This Now!
Facing mounting evidence that California has fallen behind on many key indicators of educational performance, policymakers and the public share considerable interest in explor…more
- An outcome evaluation of the success for kids programGet This Now!
This report presents results from a multisite, quantitative evaluation of the international Success for Kids (SFK) after-school program. A nonreligious program, SFK seeks to b…more
- The InterpreterGet This Now!
- Struggling to define a nation: American music and the twentieth centuryGet This Now!
Identifying music as a vital site of cultural debate, Struggling to Define a Nation captures the dynamic, contested nature of musical life in the United States. In an engaging…more
- Aesopic conversations: popular tradition, cultural dialogue, and the invention of Greek proseGet This Now!
Examining the figure of Aesop and the traditions surrounding him, Aesopic Conversations offers a portrait of what Greek popular culture might have looked like in the ancient w…more
- Cinderella's sisters: a revisionist history of footbindingGet This Now!
The history of footbinding is full of contradictions and unexpected turns. The practice originated in the dance culture of China's medieval court and spread to gentry families…more
- Eating in Eden: Food and American UtopiasGet This Now!
North America has provided a fertile setting for the development of distinctive foodways reflecting the diverse visions of life in the United States. This book explores the wa…more
- The computer from Pascal to von NeumannGet This Now!
In 1942, Lt. Herman H. Goldstine, a former mathematics professor, was stationed at the Moore School of Electrical Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania. It was there …more
- The naked truth: why Hollywood doesn't make X-rated moviesGet This Now!
From parents and teachers to politicians and policymakers, there is a din of voices participating in the debate over how young people are affected by violence, strong language…more
- Wisdom from the late Bronze AgeGet This Now!