- War, politics and superheroes: ethics and propaganda in comics and filmGet This Now!
"This critical text examines the seventy-year history of comic book superheroes on film and in comic books and their reflections of the politics of their time. Superheroes add…more
- Comic books and the Cold War, 1946-1962: essays on graphic treatment of communism, the code and social concernsGet This Now!
"Close analysis of individual titles--from atomic anxieties and the nuclear family to communist hysteria and social inequalities--manifests itself in the comic books of the er…more
- Super boys: the amazing adventures of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster : the creators of SupermanGet This Now!
A comprehensive literary biography of the creators of the Superman character draws on a decade of research and new discoveries to provide coverage of such lesser-known topics …more
- Anti-Foreign Imagery in American Pulps and Comic Books, 1920-1960Get This Now!
"This book's purpose is to demonstrate, via the examination of popular youth literature from the 1920s through to the 1950s, that the stories therein drew their definitions of…more
- Girl genius omnibus.Get This Now!
Agatha is a student at Transylvania Polygnostic University and an aspiring scientist, and when she builds a war machine in her sleep, she is summoned to the Baron's Airship Ci…more
- Mutants and mystics: science fiction, superhero comics, and the paranormalGet This Now!
"Account of how comic book heroes have helped their creators and fans alike explore and express a wealth of paranormal experiences ignored by mainstream science. Delving deepl…more
- BoneGet This Now!
The adventure starts when cousins Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone are run out of Boneville and later get separated and lost in the wilderness, meeting monsters and mak…more
- Marvel Comics: the untold storyGet This Now!
Interweaves history, anecdotes, and analysis with more than one hundred interviews with Marvel insiders to reveal how Marvel, which introduced brightly costumed caped crusader…more
- Enter the superheroes: American values, culture, and the canon of superhero literatureGet This Now!
- Hyperbole and a half: unfortunate situations, flawed coping mechanisms, mayhem, and other things that happenedGet This Now!
Collects autobiographical, illustrated essays and cartoons from the author's popular blog and related new material that humorously and candidly deals with her own idiosyncrasi…more
- Bonnie & Clyde: the beginningGet This Now!
"This graphic novel tracks the first year of Bonnie and Clyde's extraordinary crime spree. Beginning in April 1932 in Texas, the scene fades with the shoot-out that left a det…more
- Critical survey of graphic novels: heroes & superheroesGet This Now!
Heroes and superheroes provides insight into more than 130 of the most popular and studied graphic novels. These essays look beyond the pop culture aspects of the medium to sh…more