General interest materials on the First Floor.
- Let's go (so we can get back): a memoir of recording and discording with Wilco, etc.Get This Now!
Wilco singer/songwriter Jeff Tweedy tells stories about his childhood in Belleville, Illinois; the St. Louis record store, rock clubs, and live-music circuit that sparked his …more
- BecomingGet This Now!
In a life filled with meaning and accomplishment, Michelle Obama has emerged as one of the most iconic and compelling women of our era. As First Lady of the United States of A…more
- Them: why we hate each other--and how to healGet This Now!
Presents an assessment of the existential crisis in modern America that explores how increasing social isolation and the collapse of traditional community connections lead to …more
- Selling the movie: the art of the film posterGet This Now!
- The three escapes of Hannah Arendt: a tyranny of truthGet This Now!
"One of the greatest philosophers of the twentieth century and a hero of political thought, the largely unsung and often misunderstood Hannah Arendt is best known for her land…more
- Ramble and roar: a 1920's novelGet This Now!
"New York City, 1925. A place abounding with every good and glittering thing, or so Eliza Belcourt believes ... Leaving behind a broken heart and her parents' selfish expectat…more
- The Finnish way: finding courage, wellness, and happiness through the power of sisuGet This Now!
"An engaging and practical guided tour of the simple and nature-inspired ways that Finns stay happy and healthy--including the powerful concept of sisu, or everyday courage Fo…more
- Sparkle hardGet This Now!
- The Nordic theory of everything: in search of a better lifeGet This Now!
- Andrew Jackson and the miracle of New Orleans: the battle that shaped America's destinyGet This Now!
The War of 1812 saw America threatened on every side. Encouraged by the British, Indian tribes attacked settlers in the West, while the Royal Navy terrorized the coasts. By mi…more
- Remember it!: the names of people you meet, all of your passwords, where you left your keys, and everything else you tend to forgetGet This Now!
"Throughout his research into memory theory, Nelson Dellis found existing memory improvement guides to be wanting--overcomplicated, dry, and stodgy. So he decided to write a b…more
- Hope and other superpowers: a life affirming, love-defending, butt-kicking, world-saving manifestoGet This Now!
Overwhelmed by the news cycle and the state of affairs in our world? Pastor, blogger, and powerful voice in the Resistance, John Pavlovitz has the answer: this rousing and ins…more