General interest materials on the First Floor.
- Anxious for nothing: finding calm in a chaotic worldGet This Now!
"In the characteristic tone of his previous books like You'll Get Through This and Fearless, Max guides readers through this Scripture passage and explains the key concepts of…more
- The CHAOS* cure: clean your house and calm your soul in 15 minutesGet This Now!
"Are you suffering from CHAOS, otherwise known as can't have anyone over syndrome? If your house is a jumble of dirty dishes, piles of paper, and never-ending laundry, you are…more
- Life of the mind interrupted: essays on mental health and disability in higher educationGet This Now!
- We should all be feministsGet This Now!
In this essay -- adapted from her TEDx talk of the same name -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, award-winning author of Americanah, offers readers a unique definition of feminism fo…more
- Let's go (so we can get back): a memoir of recording and discording with Wilco, etc.Get This Now!
Wilco singer/songwriter Jeff Tweedy tells stories about his childhood in Belleville, Illinois; the St. Louis record store, rock clubs, and live-music circuit that sparked his …more
- BecomingGet This Now!
In a life filled with meaning and accomplishment, Michelle Obama has emerged as one of the most iconic and compelling women of our era. As First Lady of the United States of A…more
- Them: why we hate each other--and how to healGet This Now!
Presents an assessment of the existential crisis in modern America that explores how increasing social isolation and the collapse of traditional community connections lead to …more
- Selling the movie: the art of the film posterGet This Now!
- The three escapes of Hannah Arendt: a tyranny of truthGet This Now!
"One of the greatest philosophers of the twentieth century and a hero of political thought, the largely unsung and often misunderstood Hannah Arendt is best known for her land…more
- Ramble and roar: a 1920's novelGet This Now!
"New York City, 1925. A place abounding with every good and glittering thing, or so Eliza Belcourt believes ... Leaving behind a broken heart and her parents' selfish expectat…more
- The Finnish way: finding courage, wellness, and happiness through the power of sisuGet This Now!
"An engaging and practical guided tour of the simple and nature-inspired ways that Finns stay happy and healthy--including the powerful concept of sisu, or everyday courage Fo…more
- Sparkle hardGet This Now!